[Nets-seminars] Talk 6th Nov GS/302 6pm

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Oct 30 17:27:55 GMT 2009

Next week's talk is by Emil Lupu from Imperial College.

Engineering Ubiquitous Systems - What does it take to make it easier?

Emil Lupu

Department of Computing, Imperial College London

Ubiquitous systems have been foretold more than two decades ago, and to
some extent they already intrude our lives. But engineering ubiquitous
systems for new applications is fraught with challenges as the resulting
systems must be autonomous, adaptive, dependable and inconspicuous. So what
can we do to make it easier? What principles, tools, techniques and
abstractions would be of most help?

This talk overviews our recent and ongoing work on building policy-based
autonomous ubiquitous systems. It describes the concept of a Self-Managed
Cell (SMC) as a basic architectural pattern for components that group
devices e.g. in a body area network, a team of collaborating robots, an
office, or a large enterprise network. To scale to larger environments we
explore means of realising interactions between SMCs and composing them
into larger autonomous cells. We then discuss techniques required for
refining high-level goals into policies, analysing a SMC's behaviour under
a given set of policies, to identify inconsistencies and check that
desirable properties are satisfied. Finally, to be inconspicuous,
ubiquitous systems must learn the rules governing their behaviour from user
actions. The talk will discuss techniques that can be used to this end.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,