[Nets-seminars] Talk Friday 22nd Jan GS/302 4pm

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Jan 15 11:29:27 GMT 2010

The first talk of term is next Friday (22nd Jan) in GS/302 at 4pm.

The speaker is Cecilia Mascolo from Cambridge and the topic
"Temporal analysis and small world properties  of social and
technological networks."

The analysis of social and technological networks has attracted a lot of
attention as social networking applications
and mobile sensing devices have given us a wealth of real data. Classic
studies looked at analysing static or aggregated networks, i.e.,
networks that do not change over time or built as the results of
aggregation of information over a certain period of time. Given the
soaring collections of measurements related to very large, real network
traces, researchers are quickly starting to realise that connections are
inherently varying over time and exhibit more dimensionality than static
analysis can capture.

In this talk we propose new temporal distance metrics to quantify and
compare the speed (delay) of information diffusion processes taking into
account the evolution of a network from a local and global view. We show
how these metrics are able to capture the temporal characteristics of
time-varying graphs, such as delay, duration and time order of contacts
(interactions), compared to the metrics used in the past on static
graphs. We will also describe our study of small world properties of
time varying networks.

As a proof of concept we apply these techniques to various time-varying
networks, namely connectivity of mobile devices, facebook traces and
brain cortical networks.