[Nets-seminars] First talk of term 4th February GS/302 16:00

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Sat Jan 29 11:39:22 GMT 2011

The first speaker in our series of talks for this term is Olaf Mannael
from Loughborough.  You can find the complete list of talks here:
http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/research/comminfosys/seminars/seminars

"10 Lessons from 10 Years of Measuring and Modeling the Internet's
Autonomous Systems"

Formally, the Internet inter-domain routing system is a collection of
networks, their policies, peering relationships and organizational
affiliations, and the addresses they advertize. It also includes
components like Internet exchange points. By its very definition, each
and every aspect of this system is impacted by BGP, the de-facto
standard inter-domain routing protocol.

The element of this inter-domain routing system that has attracted the
single-most attention within the research community has been the
"inter-domain topology". Unfortunately, almost from the get go, the vast
majority of studies of this topology, from definition, to measurement,
to modeling and analysis, have ignored the central role of BGP in this
problem. The legacy is a set of specious findings, unsubstanciated
claims, and ill-conceived ideas about the Internet as a whole.

This talk tries present a BGP-focused treatement of the aspects that are
critical for a rigorous study of this inter-domain topology. We aim at
de-mythifing many "controversial" observations reported in the existing
literature. At the same time, we illustrate the benefits and richness of
new scientific approaches to measuring, modeling, and analyzing the
inter-domain topology that are faithful to the BGP-specific nature of
this problem domain.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,