[Nets-seminars] Seminar, 24 June: Mahesh Marina, Univ. of Edinburgh

Kyle Jamieson k.jamieson at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 18:38:27 BST 2011

Mahesh Marina, University of Edinburgh
Malet Place Engineering Building, Room 1.02
Friday 24 June, 1:30 - 2:45 PM

Broadband Wireless Access for Rural Areas: The Tegola Project Experience

There exists a rural-urban divide in terms of broadband Internet access
worldwide with people living in rural areas having fewer choices and paying
higher prices for slower speeds. While wireless access technologies are
better placed to bridge this divide compared to their wired counterparts,
there are significant differences between them in terms of deployment cost
and performance. In this talk, I will outline the specific approach we have
taken in the Tegola project, aimed at enabling low-cost broadband access in
rural and remote areas. Drawing on the experience from deploying a testbed
in rural Scotland as part of this project, we identify several research
issues that surface such as the need for link adaptation, judicious spectrum
management and intelligent power management. I will highlight a few of these
issues in the talk and present our approach to addressing them.

Bio:

Mahesh K. Marina is a Lecturer in the School of Informatics at the
University of Edinburgh. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from
Stony Brook University in August 2004. He had a two-year postdoctoral stint
at UCLA before joining Edinburgh in November 2006. His research interests
are in the area of networked and distributed systems with a primary focus on
wireless networks and mobile systems. His current research spans the
following topics: low cost and robust rural wireless broadband, channel
allocation and link adaptation protocols, interference characterization, and
mobile phone based sensing.