[Nets-seminars] Talk today 27/5/11 GS/302 16:00

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 27 11:51:18 BST 2011

I hope you can all make today's talk by Giovanni.

/Title:/ *Design and Evaluation of a High-Throughput Content-Based
Routing Protocol Using Unicast State and Probabilistic Encodings*
/Speaker:/ *Giovanni Toffetti*//*
*

/Abstract: /A content-based network is a content-based publish/subscribe
system architected as a datagram network: a message is forwarded
hop-by-hop between brokers and delivered to any and all hosts that have
expressed interest in the message content. Existing publish/subscribe
messaging systems, including such commonly used ones as Apache's
ActiveMQ and IBM's WebSphere MQ, are capable of high message throughputs
in local area settings but exhibit a degradation in performance as the
broker network grows in size. We argue that this performance degradation
is due the protocol they use to route messages and that the routing
protocol substantially dictates the end-to-end messaging performance
overshadowing the impressive capabilities of the individual brokers. We
present the design of B-DRP: a content-based routing protocol that can
demonstrably improve the situation. B-DRP is based on two  main
techniques: a message delivery mechanism that utilizes and exploits
unicast forwarding state and a probabilistic data structure to
efficiently represent and evaluate receiver interests. A comparative
evaluation of a B-DRP implementation with ActiveMQ is presented on a
variety of topologies and for workloads representing realistic
content-based applications.