[Nets-seminars] Talk today

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Jan 13 10:27:08 GMT 2012

Today's talk will be in GS/302 at 16:00.  The speaker is Georgious
Theodorakopoulos from Derby.

Please note also an amendment to the talk schedule for the rest of the
term (at the bottom of the message).

Title: Quantifying Location Privacy

Abstract: The popularity of personal communication devices leads to serious concerns about privacy in general, and location privacy in particular. As a response to these issues, a number of Location-Privacy Protection Mechanisms (LPPMs) have been proposed during the last decade. However, their assessment and comparison remains problematic because of the absence of a systematic method to quantify them. In particular, the assumptions about the attacker's model tend to be incomplete, with the risk of a possibly wrong estimation of the users' location privacy.

I will talk about how we address these issues by providing a formal framework for the analysis of LPP Ms; it captures, in particular, the prior information that might be available to the attacker, and various attacks that he can perform. By formalizing the adversary's performance, we propose and justify the right metric to quantify location privacy. We find that popular privacy metrics, such as k-anonymity and entropy, do not correlate well with the success of the adversary in inferring users' locations.

Joint work with R. Shokri, J.-Y. Le Boudec, and J.-P. Hubaux.

Bio: George Theodorakopoulos is a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer at the University of Derby. He received his B.Sc. at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece, and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. at the University of Maryland, in 2002, 2004 and 2007, respectively. From 2007 to 2011, he was a senior researcher at EPFL working with Prof. Jean-Yves Le Boudec.

--
Talk schedule for the rest of term:

  * 24th February -- Sam Crawford (Samknows.com) -- TBA
  * 2nd March (change of room GS/306) -- Mirco Musolesi (Birmingham) --
    "Temporal Dynamics of Social and Technological Networks"
  * 9th March (change of room GS/306) -- Georgios Smaragdakis (Technical
    University of Berlin) -- TBA

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,