[Nets-seminars] Talk tomorrow

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Thu Mar 1 15:11:39 GMT 2012

Friday's talk is at 16:00 in GS/306.  The speaker is Mirco Musolesi
(apologies for accidentally calling him Marco in the last email) from
Birmingham.

Also please note that next Friday's talk by Georgios Smaragdakis has
been postponed by one week until 16th March.

Title: "Temporal Dynamics of Social and Technological Networks"

Abstract: The analysis of social and technological networks has
attracted a considerable attention as social networking applications and
mobile sensing devices have given us a wealth of real data about people
interactions. Classic studies looked at analysing static or aggregated
networks, i.e., networks that do not change over time or built as the
result of aggregation of information over a certain period of time.
Given the soaring number of collections of measurements related to very
large real network traces, researchers are quickly starting to realise
that connections are inherently varying over time and exhibit more
dimensionality than static analysis can capture.

We have recently proposed a novel theoretical framework to study this
class of networks in order to quantify for example the speed/delay of
information diffusion processes and structural properties, such as the
presence of connected components. We have showed how these metrics are
able to capture the temporal characteristics of time-varying graphs,
such as delay, duration and time order of interactions, compared to the
metrics used in the past on static graphs.

In this talk I will give an overview of the proposed conceptual
framework and I will present some initial ideas about the calculation of
centrality metrics for characterising network robustness by means of
matrix computations using the transformation of temporal graphs into
reachability graphs.

More information about my research work and interests can be found in my
homepage:

http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~musolesm/

--
Richard G. Clegg,