[Nets-seminars] Complex Networks seminar on Friday 1 June

Shi Zhou s.zhou at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 29 14:54:22 BST 2012

Friday 1st June 2012; 2-4pm; MPEB 6.12

Tea Time Complex Networks
[UCL-China Forum]

Speaker: Xiao-Fan Wang (Shanghai Jiao Tong University)

Title: Pinned-based Flocking Control of Complex Dynamical Networks

Abstract: From the viewpoint of network science, one of the main
challenges with flocking control is that the topology of the
corresponding dynamical network is time-varying which depends on the
states of all the agents in the network. Furthermore, connectivity of
the initial network cannot guarantee connectivity of the network all
the time. One way to overcome this difficulty is to assume that there
is a real or virtual leader and that every agent is an informed agent
which has the information of the leader so that a navigational
feedback term could be added to every agent. In this way, all agents
could remain cohesive and asymptotically move with the same desired
velocity no matter whether the initial network is connected. However,
this assumption is in contrast with some nature examples and may be
difficult to implement in engineering applications. This talk focuses
on pinning-based flocking algorithms in which navigational feedback
terms are added to just a fraction of agents. We prove that, even when
only a fraction of agents are informed, the flocking algorithm still
enables all the informed agents to move with the desired constant
velocity, and an uninformed agent to also move with the same desired
velocity if it can be influenced by the informed agents from time to
time during the evolution.

Speaker: Bing-Hong Wang (University of Science and Technology of China)

Title: Study of New Routing Strategy for Complex Networks

Abstract: I would like to present the recent research progress of our
study on new routing strategy for next generation of Internet, WWW and
communication networks. The question to be discussed is: what is the
optimal strategy for searching target on a network? I will introduce
successively efficient path strategy, new routing strategy based on
the local information, preferential next-nearest-neighbor search
strategy and integrating local static and dynamic information for
routing traffic. Finally, I try to talk about transportation dynamics
on the network of mobile nodes and the other new advancement of
research on this topic.