[Nets-seminars] Seminar today 16:00

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Feb 15 14:56:43 GMT 2013

Today's seminar for UCL Electronic Engineering is in GS 66-72 room 102
at 16:00.  The speaker is Daphne Tuncer.

More Control Over Network Resources: An ISP Caching Perspective

Management operations performed by Content Delivery Network providers
consist mainly in controlling the placement of contents at different
storage locations and deciding where to serve client requests from.
Configuration decisions are usually taken by using only limited
information about the carrier networks, and this can adversely affect
network usage. In this work we propose an approach by which ISPs can
have more control over their resources. This involves the deployment of
caching points within their network, which can allow them to implement
their own content placement strategies. We investigate lightweight
strategies that can be used by the ISPs to manage the placement of
contents in the various network caching locations according to user
demand characteristics. The proposed strategies differ in terms of the
volume and nature of the information required to determine the new
caching configurations. We evaluate the performance of the proposed
strategies, in terms of network resource utilization, based on a wide
range of user demand profiles and we compare the obtained performance
according to metrics we define to characterize the demand. The results
demonstrate that the proposed metrics can provide useful indications
regarding the performance one strategy can achieve over another and, as
such, can be used by the ISP to improve the utilization of network
resources.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,