[Nets-seminars] Seminar today 24/5/13

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 24 10:35:28 BST 2013

Don't forget today's seminar in GS102 66-72 Gower Street at 16:00. Our
speaker is Charalampos (Haris) Rotsos from Cambridge.

Title:  A Unikernel approach to OpenFlow architecture simulation and
emulation

Abstract:

SDN , and its predominant implementation the OpenFlow protocol, provide
a flexible mechanism for network developers to evolve network
functionality without any modifications in existing network and
transport protocols. Nonetheless, transferring SDN network designs in
production networks is not a straightforward process. SDN-enabled
hardware performance is under-documented, while there is a luck of tools
providing insights on the impact of new control mechanics in large scale
networks. In order to aid SDN developers in performance reasoning, we
propose a novel OpenFlow large scale simulation and emulation platform,
which we call SDNsim. SDNsim builds on top of the Unikernel library OS
(http://anil.recoil.org/papers/2013-asplos-mirage.pdf) abstraction and
provides a generic mechanism to describe network functionality. Using
the compilation mechanism of the framework, users can build from their
specifications either high precision event-driven simulations of the
system or fast Xen-based emulations. In this talk I will provide a high
level description of the Unikernel architecture, the design and
performance of the SDNsim platform and, driven by our exploration in
network control, I will present a demo of its functionality.

Bio:
My name is Charalampos (Haris) Rotsos and I am a PhD student in Computer
Laboratory, University of Cambridge. I received my MSc from in network
communication from the Computer Science department, UCL. My research
Interest are in Software Defined Networking, Network Measurement,
Functional Programming and Machine Learning Application in Systems
Analysis.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,