[Nets-seminars] UCL EE seminar

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Oct 4 00:31:26 BST 2013

The first seminar of this term is today, Friday 4th October at 16:00.
It will take place in the Roberts building (the main Electronic
Engineering building on campus) room 905 (Sir Eric Ash room).  You need
a staff card to enter so if you are coming from outside UCL please let
me know so I ensure that you can get in.  Our speaker is Marwan Fayed
from Stirling.

Title:  Towards Position-based Routing for Mobile Environments

Abstract: Despite its simplicity there exists, as yet, no position-based
routing that is suitable for dynamic networks. This, despite being
well-studied, simple (in principle), and requiring little-to-no
overhead. In this talk I shall present a 'first principles'
investigation of the forwarding component according to left- or
right-hand rule (LHR) in order to understand its limitations and
obstacles. We find there are only five (5) possible intersecting
configurations. Surprisingly only one (1) of these configurations
defeats LHR, and even then only under a strict set of circumstances that
rarely appear.

I shall then use this analysis, and our solutions so far, to suggest
that it may be time to revisit traditional notions of path-finding
guarantees in environments where non-routing elements are the dominant
causes of loss.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,