[Nets-seminars] Seminar this Friday, EE, UCL -- PLEASE NOTE ROOM CHANGE

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Mon Oct 28 14:04:56 GMT 2013

This Friday's seminar (1st November) is from Angelos Marnerides from
Lancaster.  It is at 16:00 and note we will be in the Eric Ash room on
the 9th floor of the Roberts building.  If you're coming from outside
UCL then please let me know so I can organise access for you.

*Title *: Insights of Malware Analysis in Cloud Environments

*Abstract*: Nowadays cloud environments evolve as a true necessity since
they constitute the basis for the adequate operation of unified
socio-economical ICT environments. Nevertheless, by virtue of their
intrinsic characteristics with respect to their elasticity and use of
virtualisation they hold high security risks which are challenging to
confront from a system and network perspective. Regardless of the bulk
of research produced for malware analysis over the Internet, we argue
that the explicit case for clouds holds several issues that need to be
thoroughly examined. Therefore, in this presentation we discuss on-going
work conducted under the EPSRC India-UK Advanced Technology Centre
(IU-ATC) Project regarding malware analysis in cloud environments,
specifically looking at the virtualisation aspect forming the
fundamental building block  of any cloud. In particular we examine the
Kelihos malware and pinpoint how it behaves under several scenarios
within a controlled virtualised cloud environment.

*Bio:* Dr. Angelos K. Marnerides obtained his M.Sc and PhD in Computer
Science from Lancaster University in 2007 and 2011 respectively. He is
currently a postdoctoral research associate in the department of
Computing & Communications at Lancaster University. Prior to that he was
a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Porto under the
Carnegie Mellon University-Portugal postdoctoral scheme. In parallel,
between August 2012 and September 2013 Angelos was also an honorary
research associate with the department of Electronic and Electrical
Engineering at UCL. In general, his research interests span in the broad
domains of network resilience, network security and network management
for next generation networks with a particular interest on traffic
characterisation and profiling using statistical approaches. He is a
member of the IEEE and ACM.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,