[Nets-seminars] Seminar, today, 14/2/14 at 16:30 in Roberts Room 807

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Feb 14 11:46:13 GMT 2014

Don't forget today's talk is at a different time and a different place
to usual.  We are in the Barlow Room, 807 Robert's Building at 16:30.
If you are coming from outside UCL then let me know so that I can
arrange access to the building.

James P.G. Sterbenz

Title:  Enhancing Network Structure to Increase Resilience and Survivability

Abstract:
Resilience and survivability of the Future Internet is increasingly
important to preserve critical services, particularly against attackers
with knowledge of the structure and vulnerabilities of the network, as
well as against large scale disasters that affect a large area.  A brief
motivation and introduction will be given to the the ResiliNets
architecture, strategy, design principles, and analysis methodology.
This presentation will then describe the grpah-theoretic properties
required for flow-robustness, and introduce our path diversity
measures.  Two current research directions will then be described:  how
to add links to existing graphs under cost constraints to increase flow
robustness, and geographic diversity as a basis for multipath geodiverse
end-to-end transport (ResTP) and routing (GeoDivRP).

Bio:
James P.G. Sterbenz is Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering &
Computer Science and a member of technical staff at the Information &
Telecommunication Technology Center at the University of Kansas, and is
a Visiting Professor of Computing in InfoLab 21 at Lancaster University
in the UK.  He has previously held senior staff and research management
positions at BBN Technologies, GTE Laboratories, and IBM Research.  His
research interests include resilient, survivable, and disruption
tolerant networking, future Internet architectures, active and
programmable networks, and high-speed networking and components.  He is
director of the ResiliNets Research Group, and has been PI in a number
of projects including the NSF FIND and GENI programs, the EU FIRE
ResumeNet project, leads the GpENI international programmable network
testbed project, and has lead a US DoD project in highly-mobile ad hoc
disruption-tolerant networking.  He received a DsC in computer science
from Washington University in 1991.  He has been program chair for IEEE
GI, GBN, and HotI; IFIP RNDM, IWSOS, PfHSN, and IWAN; and was on the
editorial board of IEEE Network.  He is principal author of the book
High-Speed Networking: A Systematic Approach to High-Bandwidth
Low-Latency Communication.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,