[Nets-seminars] UCL EE Talk Today at 16:00 -- Barlow Room 807 Roberts

Ioannis Psaras i.psaras at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 28 07:53:07 GMT 2014

Hi all,

today's talk will take place in the Barlow Room, Roberts building, room 807 at 16:00. Our speaker is George Xylomenos from Athens University of Economics and Business. Details of the talk below. If you're visiting UCL, please let me know in advance to provide access to the building.

Best regards,
Yiannis.

Title: Reducing Forwarding State in Content-Centric Networks with Semi-Stateless Forwarding (to appear at IEEE INFOCOM 2014, joint work with Christos Tsilopoulos and Yannis Thomas)

Abstract: Routers in the Content-Centric Networking (CCN) architecture maintain state for all pending content requests, so as to be able to later return the corresponding content. By employing stateful forwarding, CCN supports native multicast, enhances security and enables adaptive forwarding, at the cost of excessive forwarding state that raises scalability concerns. We propose a semi-stateless forwarding scheme in which, instead of tracking each request at every on-path router, requests are tracked at every d hops. At intermediate hops, requests gather reverse path information, which is later used to deliver responses between routers using Bloom filter-based stateless forwarding. Our approach effectively reduces forwarding state, while preserving the advantages of CCN forwarding. Evaluation results over realistic ISP topologies show that our approach reduces forwarding state by 54%-70% in unicast delivery, without any bandwidth penalties, while in multicast delivery it reduces forwarding state by 34%-55% at the expense of 6%-13% in bandwidth overhead.

Bio:George Xylomenos is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) and a member of the Mobile Multimedia Laboratory. He received his B.Sc. in Informatics (1993) from AUEB, and M.S. (1996) and Ph.D. (1999) degrees in Computer Science from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). His current research interests include information-centric network architectures and protocols, multicast-based and peer-to-peer content distribution, the provision of Quality of Service over wireless and mobile networks and real-time transport protocols for multimedia. In the past he has worked in link layer protocols for wireless hosts and multicast support for mobile hosts. He has participated in many EU funded FP6 and FP7 projects, including the pioneering PSIRP and PURSUIT projects which developed a clean-slate Future Internet architecture based on pub/sub.