[Nets-seminars] talk announcement: Keith Winstein (MIT CSAIL), 2 PM Wed 12 Mar

Brad Karp B.Karp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 18:43:36 GMT 2014

It's my pleasure to announce the below faculty candidate talk.

Keith Winstein is interviewing for a faculty position in the Systems
and Networks group.

All strongly encouraged to attend!

Title, abstract, and bio follow.

- -Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk

- ---

UCL CS Faculty Candidate Talk

Speaker:        Keith Winstein (MIT CSAIL)
                http://mit.edu/keithw

Time and place: 2 PM, Wed 12 Mar, MPEB 1.03

Title:          Transport Architectures for an Evolving Internet

Abstract:

The technologies that make up the Internet are changing every year,
but some transport protocols continue to act as though the Internet
behaved as it did 20 years ago. This can cause poor performance on
newer networks -- cellular networks, datacenters -- and makes it more
challenging to roll out networking technologies that break markedly
with the past. How do we make applications and protocols keep up with
an evolving network? I will describe the Sprout algorithm, a transport
protocol designed for videoconferencing over cellular networks, that
uses probabilistic inference to forecast network congestion in
advance. On commercial cellular networks, Sprout gives 2-to-4 times
the throughput and 7-to-9 times less delay than Skype, Apple Facetime,
and Google+ Hangouts.

This work led to Remy, a computer program that generates transport
protocols automatically, as a function of a protocol designer's
assumptions about the network and statement of an objective
function. Remy's computer-generated algorithms can achieve higher
performance and greater fairness than some sophisticated
human-designed schemes. I will discuss our work on using Remy to probe
open questions of Internet congestion control -- what's the cost of
maintaining backwards compatibility with existing algorithms,
including the Transmission Control Protocol as it exists today? Is
there a tradeoff between a protocol's performance today and its
ability to adapt to networks of the future?

This talk includes joint work with Anirudh Sivaraman, Pratiksha
Thaker, and Hari Balakrishnan.

Bio:

Keith Winstein is a doctoral candidate at MIT's Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. His work applies statistical and
predictive approaches to teach computers to design better network
protocols and applications. He created the Mosh (mobile shell) tool
for remote access to Unix-like systems and the Sprout algorithm for
cellular networks, which was awarded a 2014 Applied Networking
Research Prize. From 2007 to 2010, Keith worked as a staff reporter at
The Wall Street Journal, covering science and medicine.