[Nets-seminars] Talk today

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Mar 14 10:16:40 GMT 2014

Today's talk is at 16:00 in GS/102 66-72 Gower Street.  The speaker is
George Smart from UCL Electronic Engineering.  Hope to see you all there.

Talk Title:    Decentralized Time-Synchronized Channel Swapping for
Wireless Sensor Networks

Abstract:    Time-synchronized channel hopping (TSCH) is currently the
most efficient solution for collision-free, interference-avoiding
communications in wireless sensor networks (WSNs). However, all variants
of TSCH require some form of centralized coordination to maintain the
time-frequency slotting mechanism, which leads to slow convergence to
steady state and moderate time-frequency slot utilization. We propose
decentralized time-synchronized channel swapping (DT-SCS), a novel
protocol for the medium access control (MAC) layer of IEEE802.15.4-based
WSNs. Under the proposed DT-SCS protocol, wireless nodes first converge
to synchronous beacon packet transmissions across all IEEE802.15.4
channels with balanced number of nodes in each channel. This is achieved
by reactive listening mechanisms, based on pulse coupled oscillator
techniques at the MAC. Peer-to-peer channel swapping can then take
place, via swap requests and acknowledgments made by concurrent
transmitters in neighboring channels. We compare our DT-SCS protocol
against TSCH in terms of convergence time, bandwidth utilization,
connectivity and robustness to packet losses via simulations. In
addition, the energy consumption of DT-SCS is reported via a
Contiki-based deployment on TelosB motes. The results reveal that DT-SCS
comprises an excellent candidate for completely decentralized MAC-layer
coordination in WSNs by providing for quick convergence to steady state,
high bandwidth utilization, high connectivity and robustness to
interference and hidden nodes.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,