[Nets-seminars] Seminar next Friday 23rd May 16:00 GS/102

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 16 10:53:57 BST 2014

There has been a change to our seminar line up and our remaining two
speakers for this term have swapped round. The speaker this Friday is
Prof Mischa Dohler from Kings. The seminar is at 16:00 in GS/102 on 23rd
May. I hope to see you all there.

Title: The Dawn of Connected Machines

Abstract:
An emerging paradigm is gripping industrial and academic ICT communities
alike, the one of Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communications. It refers to
the ability of machines to communicate with one another without human
intervention. If predictions are to be believed, we will have some 50bn
devices “speaking” to each other by 2020. Touted by some the 4th
Industrial Revolution, this hyper-connected cyber-physical world will
certainly ignite unprecedented economic and social opportunities.
In this talk, I will review recent technological developments which we
believe will allow us to address this scale of connectivity. I will also
dwell on some lessons we learned from prior connectivity exercises and
discuss mistakes made. I will then expose major research and design
challenges which need to be addressed to facilitate a truly connected
cyber-physical world, including issues related to Big Data, Open Data
and Privacy.

Biography:
Mischa Dohler is Professor in Wireless Communications at King's College
London, member of the Board of Directors of Worldsensing, Fellow and
Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE, and Editor-in-Chief of the
Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies.
He is a frequent keynote, panel and tutorial speaker. He has contributed
to numerous wireless broadband and IoT/M2M standards, holds a dozen
patents, chaired numerous conferences, and published more than 160
refereed transactions, conference papers and books. He has a citation
h-index of 33.
He acts as policy, technology and entrepreneurship adviser, examples
being Richard Branson's Carbon War Room, the House of Lords UK, the
EPSRC Strategy Advisory Team, the European Commission, and various
start-ups.
He is also an entrepreneur, angel investor, passionate pianist and
fluent in 6 languages. He has talked at TEDx. He had coverage by
national and international TV & radio; and his contributions have
featured in the Wall Street Journal and BBC.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,