[Nets-seminars] TOMORROW: NSDI practice talk by Matthew Grosevenor, Cambridge, 2 PM, Tue 24 Mar

Brad Karp bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 22:00:22 GMT 2015

Greetings, everyone.

I'm very pleased to announce that Matthew Grosvenor, a PhD student at
Cambridge, will visit us to give a practice talk for NSDI 2015
*tomorrow*, Tuesday, 24th March at 2 PM in MPEB 6.12.

Come one, come all to hear about Matthew's very interesting work on
mitigating the queueing delay that bulk traffic can cause to
delay-sensitive traffic in data-center networks--and to pepper Matthew
with thoughtful questions to help him prepare for the NSDI audience!

Title, abstract, and bio follow.

See you there,
- -Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk

- -----

UCL Systems and Networks Research Group Seminar

Speaker: Matthew Grosvenor, Cambridge Computer Laboratory
         http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mpg39/

Location and time: 2 PM, Tue 24 Mar 2015, MPEB 6.12

Title:

Queues don’t matter when you can Jump them!

Paper:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mpg39/pubs/drafts/nsdi15-qjump.pdf

Abstract:

In this talk I will be discussing our recent system called QJump.
QJump is a simple and immediately deployable approach to controlling
network interference in datacenter networks. Network interference
occurs when congestion from throughput-intensive applications causes
queueing that delays traffic from latency-sensitive applications.

To mitigate network interference, QJump applies Internet QoS-inspired
techniques to datacenter applications. Each application is assigned to
a latency sensitivity level (or class). Packets from higher levels are
rate-limited in the end host, but once allowed into the network can
“jump-the-queue” over packets from lower levels. In settings with
known node counts and link speeds, QJump can support service levels
ranging from strictly bounded latency (but with low rate) through to
line-rate throughput (but with high latency variance).

We have implemented QJump as a Linux Traffic Control module. QJump
achieves bounded latency and reduces in-network interference by up to
300×, outperforming Ethernet Flow Control (802.3x), ECN (WRED) and
DCTCP. We also show that QJump improves average flow completion times,
performing close to or better than DCTCP and pFabric.

Bio:

Matthew P. Grosvenor is a final year PhD student at the University of
Cambridge Computer Laboratory. He holds bachelors degrees in
Mechatronic Engineering and Computer Science from the University of
New South Wales in Sydney Australia. His interests lie in cross-layer
optimizations of networks and operating systems, with a particular
focus on netowk latency. He has completed research internships at
NICTA (Sydney), Microsoft Research (Silicon Valley) and Microsoft
Research (Cambridge). Before moving to Cambridge, Matthew worked an
embedded systems engineer at the high-frequency trading firm Zomojo
Pty Ltd.