[Nets-seminars] UCL CS Distinguished Lecture: Prof George Varghese, Microsoft/UCLA, 11 AM, 14 Jul

Brad Karp bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 17:59:32 BST 2016

Greetings, everyone.

It is my pleasure to invite you all to a UCL CS Distinguished Lecture by
Professor George Varghese,  a Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research
Redmond, who previously was for many years a Professor of Computer
Science at UCSD. George will return to academia as a Professor of
Computer Science at UCLA later in 2016.

George is a pre-eminent networking researcher who has made seminal
contributions to algorithms and data structures for high-speed packet
processing, and more recently, to formal verification of computer
networks. An ACM Fellow, George received the SIGCOMM Award, ACM's
lifetime achievement award for computer networking research, in 2014,
and the IEEE Kobayashi Award ("for outstanding contributions to the
integration of computers and communications"), also in 2014.

George will speak on his recent strand of work on verification of
computer networks. He is a highly engaging speaker, and his work served
to found this important and active area. All are most strongly
encouraged to attend!

Title, abstract, and bio follow.

See you there,
-Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk

---

UCL CS Distinguished Lecture

Speaker:

Professor George Varghese, Microsoft Research/UCLA
https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~varghese/

Title:

>From ElectroDA to NDA: Treating Networks like Hardware Circuits

Time and location:

11 AM,  Thursday 14 July
Roberts G08 Lecture Theatre

Abstract:

Surveys reveal that network outages are prevalent, and outages take
hours to resolve, resulting in significant lost revenue. Many bugs are
caused by errors in configuration files which are programmed using
arcane, low-level languages, akin to machine code.  Further, mistakes
are often hunted down using rudimentary tools such as Ping and
Traceroute. We suggest fresh approaches based on verification and
synthesis.

After briefly describing our earlier results on scalably verifying that
the data plane of a network meets reachability specifications, I
describe recent work on verifying the control plane that builds the data
plane.  This can, for instance, allow us detect latent bugs in BGP
routing configurations.  Unlike earlier work by Griffin-Wilfong, and
Gao-Rexford we focus on automated verification of routing protocols.

I will then describe work we have done in synthesis.   I will set the
stage by describing a reconfigurable router architecture called RMT and
an emerging language for programming routers called P4 (that promises to
extend the boundaries of Software Designed Networks). I will then
describe two synthesis efforts for flexible routers, one akin to
register allocation (table layout) and one akin to code generation
(packet transactions).  I will focus especially on code generation and
show that the all-or-nothing compilation required for wire-speed
forwarding requires adapting standard compiler techniques.
These results suggest that concepts from Electronic Design Automation
(EDA) can be leveraged to create what might be termed Network Design
Automation (NDA).   I end by briefly exploring this vision. This is
joint work with collaborators at CMU, MSR, MIT, Stanford, and University
of Washington.

Bio:

George Varghese received his Ph.D. in 1992 from MIT. From 1993-1999, he
was a professor at Washington University, and at UCSD from 1999 to 2013.
He was the Distinguished Visitor in the computer science department at
Stanford University from 2010-2011. He joined Microsoft Research in
2012.    His book "Network Algorithmics" was published in December 2004
by Morgan-Kaufman. In May 2004, he co-founded NetSift, which was
acquired by Cisco Systems in 2005. With colleagues, he has won best
paper awards at SIGCOMM (2014), ANCS (2013), OSDI (2008), PODC (1996),
and the IETF Applied Networking Prize (2013). He has won lifetime awards
in networking from the EE (Kobayashi Award) and CS communities (SIGCOMM)
in 2014.