[Nets-seminars] TOMORROW: talk by Hakim Weatherspoon, Cornell CS

Brad Karp bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 19:01:00 BST 2016

Greetings, everyone.

A late-breaking talk announcement: Hakim Weatherspoon, Associate
Professor of Computer Science at Cornell University, will be giving a
talk at UCL CS TOMORROW, 20th July. Hakim works on networking and
systems. All are encouraged to join us!

Talk announcement and bio follow.

See you there,
-Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk

---

UCL CS Systems and Networks Seminar

Speaker:

Prof Hakim Weatherspoon, Cornell University CS
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~hweather/

Time and location:

1 PM, 20th July 2016
Roberts G06 Lecture Theatre

Title:

   The Supercloud: Opportunities and Challenges

Abstract:

Our society has changed. It has changed from being enabled by the
network and data stored within it to making increasingly frequent use of
networked systems—the cloud; if the trend continues, we will soon reach
a point of true dependency, much as we depend upon electricity, cars and
telephones. The cloud must be available and we need continuous access to
our data. In a sense, this situation was envisioned nearly 50 years ago
with a vision some referred to using the phrase “computing as a utility”
(Multics: 1965; 24/7 access to data and computation). Unfortunately,
however, particularly in light of this growing dependence upon the
network and the cloud, and the associated need for security,
availability, and other assurance properties, today’s cloud is simply
not ready for the roles we are asking it to play. Needed are new
guarantees of security of data and integrity of computation (especially
across administrative domains) and cloud interoperability.

In this talk, I describe challenges and discuss a new cloud model,
called a Supercloud, that address them. A Supercloud decouples cloud
users from the cloud provider and allows cloud users transparent and
simultaneous control over a diverse set of cloud provider resources such
as Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine, Microsoft Azure, Rackspace, VMWare
vCloud Air, HP Cloud, and many private clouds. I will present the design
and implementation of the Supercloud and demonstrate how users and
applications can benefit from the power and capability that it provides.

Bio:

Hakim Weatherspoon is an Associate Professor in the Department of
Computer Science at Cornell University. He on a one year sabbatical and
at the University of Cambridge, Computing Laboratory. His research
interests cover various aspects of fault-tolerance, reliability,
security, and performance of large Internet-scale (and rack-scale!)
systems such as cloud computing and distributed systems. He received his
Ph.D. from University of California at Berkeley and B.S. from University
of Washington. He is an Alfred P. Sloan Fellow and recipient of an NSF
CAREER award, DARPA Computer Science Study Panel (CSSP), IBM Faculty
Award, the NetApp Faculty Fellowship, Intel Early Career Faculty Honor,
and the Future Internet Architecture award from the National Science
Foundation (NSF).

More information about Hakim is available online at his research group
website http://fireless.cs.cornell.edu and/or personal website
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~hweather .