[Nets-seminars] TODAY, 2 PM: UCL CS Faculty Candidate Talk, Stefano Vissicchio, Universite catholique de Louvain (UCL), Belgium

Brad Karp bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 10 11:24:58 BST 2016

A reminder and request: please join us for the below faculty candidate
talk. We very much need good turnout and an inquisitive audience--
candidates judge the vibrancy of the intellectual life of our department
by how engaged we are at talks!

Today's candidate, Stefano Vissicchio, won the best paper award at
SIGCOMM 2015 for his work on "fibbing," a system that ingeniously lets a
central controller "lie" to routers over a routing protocol to achieve
complex network control behavior that typically requires new SDN-style
switches using only legacy routers. This work also won the IETF/IRTF
applied networking research prize.

The talk targets a broad CS audience, so should be accessible and
interesting to all. Title, abstract, and bio follow below.

See you there!

-Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk

*UCL CS Faculty Candidate Talk*

*Title: Overcoming the dichotomy between distributed and centralized
routing in communication networks*
* *
*Speaker: Dr. Stefano Vissicchio, postdoctoral researcher, Université
catholique de Louvain      http://www.uclouvain.be/stefano.vissicchio*
* *
*Location and time: Roberts G06 Sir Ambrose Fleming LT, 14.00 – 15.30,
Friday 10 June*
* * *Abstract:*

Routing is a basic problem that network operators have to solve to
control how traffic flows in their networks. Traditionally, routing
decisions are taken by distributed protocols, sharing computation across
network nodes. In the era of software defined networking (SDN), however,
such a traditional approach is questioned, with many researchers (and
operators) arguing for centralized routing.

 In this talk, I will first focus on traditional, distributed routing.
 On one hand, I will overview our findings on how theoretically hard is
 to configure, reconfigure and monitor common routing protocols for
 practical needs. Indeed, basic properties (like eventual consistency of
 routing decisions, propagation of routing information or forwarding
 correctness) are not guaranteed in general, and even deciding if such
 properties hold for a specific network is computationally-hard.

On the other hand, I will show how to work around such complexity.
Namely, I will discuss our proposed best practices for safe routing
configuration as well as our algorithms and system prototypes to
practically assist operators in network management tasks. With those
elements in minds, I will elaborate on the main pros and cons of
traditional and SDN architectures.

 Finally, I will show how to overcome the dichotomy between centralized
 and distributed routing. I will introduce hybrid network architectures,
 where routing tasks are shared between distributed and centralized
 components, in order to sum the benefits of the two approaches while
 avoiding their respective drawbacks. As a concrete example, I will
 report on Fibbing, a readily-deployable, flexible and robust solution
 to achieve central control over distributed routing protocols.

*Bio:*

Stefano Vissicchio received his Master degree from the Roma Tre
University (Rome, Italy) in 2008, and his PhD degree from the same
institution in 2012. He now holds a postdoctoral position at the
University of Louvain (UCL), Belgium. His research interests include
network management, routing protocols, measurements and software
defined networking. On those topics, he published several articles at
top conferences and journals, including the ICNP 2013 and SIGCOMM 2015
best papers.