[Nets-seminars] TODAY, 3 PM: Justine Sherry, UC Berkeley, UCL CS Faculty Candidate Talk

Brad Karp bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 10:59:19 GMT 2016

I'd like to offer the strongest encouragement to all from *all
groups* to please attend this faculty candidate talk at 3 PM TODAY in
Gustave Tuck LT.

Justine Sherry of UC Berkeley is interviewing for a Lectureship in the
Systems and Networks Research Group. In her work on BlindBox (SIGCOMM
2015, best student paper) and Embark (NSDI 2016), she has designed and
built firewalls that can search through encrypted traffic (without
revealing all traffic's content to the firewall), and thus improve
privacy for users. That's just a taste of her work; Justine published
three papers in SIGCOMM 2015.

Justine is known to be a gifted speaker; her talk should be of great
interest to the general CS audience.

We very much need excellent turnout from colleagues across *all*
research areas;  good talk attendance (and questions!) are crucial ways
of showing that our department offers a vibrant intellectual community.

Title, abstract, and bio follow below.

See you there!

-Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk

-------------------

*UCL CS Faculty Candidate Talk*
* *
* *
*Title: Middleboxes as a Cloud Service*
*Speaker:  Justine Sherry, computer scientist and doctoral candidate at UC Berkeley
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~justine/*
* *
*Location and time:    Wilkins Gustave Tuck LT,  15.00 – 16.30, Monday
14 March *

*Abstract:*

Today's networks do much more than merely deliver packets. Through the
deployment of middleboxes, enterprise networks today provide improved
security -- e.g., filtering malicious content -- and performance
capabilities -- e.g., caching frequently accessed content. Although
middleboxes are deployed widely in enterprises, they bring with them
many challenges: they are complicated to manage, expensive, prone to
failures, and challenge privacy expectations.

In this talk, we aim to bring the benefits of cloud computing to
networking. We argue that middlebox services can be outsourced to
cloud providers in a similar fashion to how mail, compute, and storage
are today outsourced. We begin by presenting APLOMB, a system that
allows enterprises to outsource middlebox processing to a third party
cloud or ISP. For enterprise networks, APLOMB can reduce costs, ease
management, and provide resources for scalability and failover. For
service providers, APLOMB offers new customers and business
opportunities, but also presents new challenges. Middleboxes have
tighter performance demands than existing cloud services, and hence
supporting APLOMB requires redesigning software at the cloud. We re-
consider classical cloud challenges including fault-tolerance and
privacy, showing how to implement middlebox software solutions with
throughput and latency 2-4 orders of magnitude more efficient than general-
purpose cloud approaches. Some of the technologies discussed in this
talk are presently being adopted by industrial systems used by cloud
providers and ISPs.

* Bio:*

Justine Sherry is a computer scientist and doctoral candidate at UC
Berkeley. Her interests are in computer networking; her work includes
middleboxes, networked systems, measurement, cloud computing, and
congestion control. Justine's dissertation focuses on new opportunities
and challenges arising from the deployment of middleboxes -- such as
firewalls and proxies -- as services offered by clouds and ISPs. Justine
received her MS from UC Berkeley in 2012, and her BS and BA from the
University of Washington in 2010. She is an NSF Graduate Research
Fellow, has won paper awards from both USENIX NSDI and ACM SIGCOMM, and
is always on the lookout for a great cappuccino.