[Nets-seminars] [COMING UP TODAY; please attend!] SECOND UCL CS Faculty Candidate talk: Jay Chen, NYU Abu Dhabi, 4 PM Friday 29th May

Brad Karp bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 29 15:31:07 BST 2020

Quick reminder of today’s faculty candidate talk at 4 PM. Please join us! Full announcement below, with Teams link.

See you at 4 PM,
-Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk <mailto:bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk>

—

Greetings, everyone.

It’s my pleasure to warmly invite all of you, across all of UCL CS, to attend a faculty candidate talk to be given Friday 29th May at 4 PM, by Jay Chen, who is interviewing for a Lecturer position in the Systems and Networks Research Group.

In today’s circumstances, when events we’ve always held in person must be held remotely, it’s especially important that we engage with candidates at their online talks: they are considering whether they might like to join our department, and we must pull together to welcome them and convey interest and community.

A quick word on how we’ll ask questions during the talk:

Please mute your microphone and don’t send video when you join the Teams session. If you have a question, please use the “Raise your hand” button (hand icon in the bar of buttons that appears in the center of the bottom of the main window) in the Teams UI. I will moderate and interrupt the speaker at an opportune moment to indicate that there’s a question, and invite you by name to ask your question. At that point, please turn on video (nice for candidate to see questioner!), unmute, lower your hand, and ask your question. (We’re moderating questions in this way because it’s too difficult for the candidate to watch for the tiny “hand raised” indications in the UI while trying to deliver a talk.)

Title, abstract, bio, and Teams joining information follow.

See you at 4 PM Friday,
-Brad, bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk <mailto:bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk>

—

UCL CS Faculty Candidate Talk

Friday 29th May, 4 - 5:30 PM

Speaker: Jay Chen, NYU Abu Dhabi

Title: Information Communication Technology for Development (ICTD): Toward Sustainable Interventions that Scale

Abstract:

Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D/ICTD) research broadly involves a consideration of human and societal relations with the technological world for positive socioeconomic change. ICTD has huge potential for improving the quality of life of billions of people around the world. The field of ICTD has grown significantly in recent years, but this growth and intellectual maturation has not translated into sustained adoption and real-world development impact. In this talk, we explore why the current approach is problematic and propose alternative ways to make progress toward sustainable interventions that scale.

Bio:

Jay Chen is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at New York University - Abu Dhabi. His research is at the intersection of Networked Systems and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) applied to societal challenges. His work over the past decade has primarily focused on designing, building, and deploying networked systems in developing regions. His projects have been deployed in schools, hospitals, and other organizations in India, Africa, and South America where they have improved access to information and enabled new services.

Microsoft Teams joining information:
Join Microsoft Teams Meeting <https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_ZjM1ZDI0MTYtNWNkMS00ZDE3LWJiYWUtYTUwN2ZiOGZlM2E0%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%221faf88fe-a998-4c5b-93c9-210a11d9a5c2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22d9621422-697b-4916-879d-f967df42ee26%22%7d>Learn more about Teams <https://aka.ms/JoinTeamsMeeting>