[hen-mgmt] Re: [Sensors] Mote testbeds

Adam Greenhalgh a.greenhalgh at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 11:26:10 BST 2005

PoE motes do exists, and they don't add that much to the cost, but a
cost benefit analysis is something we need here. The big thing we have
to remember when setting this stuff up is that we have next to zero
support allocated to hen, so we should automate as much of the control
of the sensors as possible and mimimise the number of components which
the sensors depend on. I am not suggesting we be very restrictive
about what we allow people to do, all I am suggesting is that the base
communications channel and power are designed in such away as they are
always avaiable for control purposes.

I would advise against using people's desktops as part of a long term
testbed as this means that kernels and packages have to be maintained.
My big conern with things that if we don't the infrastructure in a way
that is maintainable O(const) then we will end up with a pile of
hardware. This is why i am suggesting PoE. The worse thing is to try
and do an experiment and find that half of the equipment doesn't work,
it would be like someone taking the pipe off a fume cupboard.

Adam