[Sumover-dev] Re: Compiling VIC in Visual Studio 8 (2005)

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 19:37:36 GMT 2007

On 24/01/07, Sam Gundry <sgundry at vpac.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have obtained VIC, TCL and TK from your CVS repository:
> - http://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/browser/vic/trunk
> - http://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/browser/tcl-8.0
> - http://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/browser/tk-8.0
>
> And now I wish to compile VIC using Visual Studio 8 (since I don't have
> any older versions available). When I open "vic.sln", VS automatically
> 'converts' it to VS 8.0 format.
>
> However, when I choose to Build "Release" or "Debug" projects, I receive
> the following errors:
> > 8>c:\sgundry\ucl media tools\vic\video\grabber-win32DS.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'dshow.h': No such file or directory
> > 8>c:\sgundry\ucl media tools\vic\video\crossbar.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'dshow.h': No such file or directory
> > 8>.\main.cpp(73) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'postproc/cpudetect.h': No such file or directory
> > 8>.\net\net-ip.cpp(224) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
> > 8>BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\release\display.sbr': No such file or directory
>
> - I was wondering if you have any instructions on compiling VIC using VS8?
> - Have you seen these errors before?
> - Should VIC compile successfully under VS8?
> - Do you have any advice? :(

To obtain the dshow.h you need in stall the Direct SDK from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=124552FF-8363-47FD-8F3B-36C226E04C85&displaylang=en

Try building VIC with the Debug XP profile. Also we've been updating
vic recently and it now starting to use the latest version of tcl/tk -
which you need to download from the tcl/tk site.

Also try getting the latest version using svn.

YOu integration project sounds interesting. I will be away for a week
but I may be able to hepl when I return if you still have problems. We
are in the middle of trying to stablise the tools for next release in
a few  weeks so things may be abit messy right now.

YOu could also just download the source tar balls for the previuosly
released versions.

Piers.