[Sumover-dev] Re: VIC question

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 10:14:12 BST 2007

Hi Frank,

Good to hear from you about your project - it sounds interesting - it
would be fun to see some iChat style conference video windows ;)

> Firstly, a short introduction. My name is Frank Hmeidan, and I am
> currently completing my final year of a Bachelor of Software Engineering
> (Honours) degree at the Australian National University. As a part of
> this degree, I have decided to undertake an individual thesis project
> for my honours, which is on videoconferencing.
>
> I have a quick question, if you might like to help me out, about VIC.
>
> I am trying to write an OpenGL window renderer for VIC, so I can
> manipulate the video feed the way I need to. I decided to try TkOGL, the
> OpenGL toolkit for Tk to accomplish this. I am trying to load the TkOGL
> package (along with the OpenGL and OpenGLU packages) into a tcl file
> which is used by VIC with the command '' (which, to
> my understanding, dynamically loads the package). The problem is that
> while both tclsh (which I am assuming is the interpreter that VIC uses,
> please correct me if I am wrong) and wish both recognize and load the
> packages, I get a 'cannot file package Tkogl' error when I try to load
> the package from VIC's tcl scripts.
>
> Would you have any idea what this means? Do I have to compile Tkogl
> against some other installation of Tcl besides the one which I have
> installed on my system (which is version 8.4)?

I assume you're doing this on Linux (which version?). Also which
version of VIC are you building and are you building it against the
system tcl/tk-8.4 libs or the UCL tcl/tk-8.0 libs? You'll need to use
the latest version of VIC from here to be able to use the system tcl
then things should work a bit better:
https://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/wiki/VicH264

I assume you're using the (I've not used it):
http://hct.ece.ubc.ca/research/tkogl/tkogl/Download.html
and you've also checked out these OPenGL ones:
http://tcltk.free.fr/index.php3?idxcat=42

Piers.

PS: There is (used to be?) a very good guy at ANU who knows about
OpenGL and video called Rhys.Hawkins at anu.edu.au - he has contributed
stuff to vic in the past.