[Sumover-dev] RAT and linux 64b

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 30 11:12:59 BST 2008

Hi Brice,

> Thank you for the answer as well as for the source code. I was trying to
> run a RAT v4.2.23 downloaded from
> http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/rat/, it looks like
> this version is not 64b compliant, but yours works well (at least until

> [pid/22661 +1177 auddev_alsa.c] ALSA version identifier == à    <

This doesn't look good, the memory seems corrupted, it should be
outputting something like:

[pid/4110 +1177 auddev_alsa.c] ALSA version identifier == Advanced Linux
Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16rc2 (Thu Jan 31 16:40:16 2008 UTC).

I think when I used to build RAT on x86-64 Fedora Core 3 (which RHEL 4
is based on), I used to disable building the ALSA support because I had
all sorts of issues with ALSA. For Fedora Core 4 and later I would build
the ALSA support. To disable building the ALSA support I think I used to
patch the configure script to avoid detecting ALSA or something.

> It's probably nothing though, the important thing is the message I had
> before is not present anymore, it will probably work now. Thanks again!

I don't know, if RAT doesn't work I would be pointing the finger at ALSA
as the likely candidate for the failure.

Cheers,
Doug