[Sumover-dev] Re: an AccessGrid question from Leon...

Andrew Ford acf0659 at rit.edu
Mon Jun 1 19:52:58 BST 2009

Hi,

Yes, software echo cancellation would be incredibly useful! As far as I
know, most hardware echo cancelling solutions (beyond things like personal
tabletop mics like the Chat50) end up being US$2000+, which might not be a
problem for some big-budget institutions, but tends to be an issue for us :)
It may also make things like AG more accessible to people at home due to not
having to buy extra audio equipment, bridge/network issues notwithstanding.

Polycom PVX, the drivers for Logitech webcams that have built-in mics, and
Skype I think, all do software echo cancellation themselves, and I've heard
of a Max/MSP implementation as well (but haven't been able to find much info
on it), so it definitely seems possible.

In fact, I've been toying around with the idea of developing an entire
replacement for RAT (no offense Piers/other UCL devs :) since I think there
are a lot of issues and room for improvement: the Mac audio code needs to be
rewritten to use the new API, it has no way of using multiple audio devices,
even just 2 for separate input/output, it has no way of sending multiple
streams, it doesn't support any kind of routing to external programs (ie
JACK - could be very useful for compression, limiting, EQ), it tends to
crash often (on Windows at least) due to Mbus (side note: are there any
other nice ways for it to communicate with vic or other video apps?), and
the interface should probably be redesigned. Software AEC and JACK-esque
routing to external programs could make things like the XAP, Converge, etc.
entirely unnecessary.

Let me know if there's any opportunity for any project like this - I do have
experience with audio, and I'd love to be able to work on it. I'd start it
up right now if I weren't somewhat busy with video stuff :)

--Andrew