[Sumover-dev] Re: FW: VIC release delay

Andrew Ford acf0659 at rit.edu
Wed Jun 17 21:15:40 BST 2009

Hi guys,

I hate to pile on the bug reports before a major release, but here they are
anyway :) A few relatively minor issues with vic:

-There's apparently a known quality issue when using bt8x8 capture cards
with ffmpeg: http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#SEC20 which manifests itself as
noticeable encoding artifacts when using mpeg4 with vic. Has this been
addressed at all? I didn't notice any reference to it in the ffmpeg_codec or
encoder_mpeg4 files.
-Somewhat related to that, I've noticed that the saturation in the v4l2
settings is seemingly always at least 3/4 of the way up upon startup. Is
this modifiable via command line or some other method? (If so, it should
probably be added to the Access Grid service config menu.)

-The patch related to this bug:
https://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/ticket/162 has yet to be merged
into the mpeg4 branch.

-Occasionally I'll see obvious encoding artifacts when using mpeg4 - it
looks as if the edges of the macroblocks (16x16 pixels? haven't measured it
exactly) get very sharp over the period of about 1 second, then return to
normal and repeat. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this, nor I
have I tried it with ffmpeg 0.5, which I'm attempting to do now. I've
observed this on Windows and Linux, both from analog capture cards as well
as from a DV camera via firewire.

A related bug: when trying to compile the newest SVN vic, it fails on
ffmpeg_codec.cpp, since it can't find avcodec.h - there are two issues here:
-the include in ffmpeg_codec.h is way too specific, referring to
/usr/include/ffmpeg, and
-for the codec directory (and other directories that have files that use
ffmpeg) the makefile (or should this be in the configure script?) needs to
specify -I../ffmpeg/include instead of -Iffmpeg/include.

Some issues with the configure script - when it calls ffmpeg's configure the
threads option isn't turned on, and --enable-x264-co doesn't actually work -
it seems to only checkout when only using --with-x264-ver=version (plus
enable-gpl).

In addition: a number of other includes need to be changed, in
video/deinterlace.h, codec/x264encoder.cpp, codec/rtp_h264_depayloader.h,
and render/color-swscale.cpp, in order to be consistent with the ffmpeg 0.5
directory structure. Should libname/header.h, with the root ffmpeg directory
being added through -I, be the standard include style? I suppose that
-I../ffmpeg/libavcodec, libavutil, etc. could work too - thoughts?

--Andrew