[Sumover-dev] Re: VIC release delay

Andrew Ford acf0659 at rit.edu
Mon Jun 22 20:53:57 BST 2009

2009/6/17 Douglas Kosovic <douglask at itee.uq.edu.au>

>  Sorry I can't make much comment about the other ffmpeg issues you raise
> at moment, I might get back to you on some of the issues when I get back
> from holiday leave next week or Piers may have something to say.
>
> The VDPAU support which uses an Nvidia GPU to do the H.264 decoding looks
> interesting as does the new ffmpeg-mt branch:
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Interesting, thanks. On the topic of ffmpeg, does anyone have experience
with getting any debug info out of it? I'm trying avcodec_thread_init to
initialize multithreading (both encoding and decoding), but it always seems
to fail, returning -1. This is after I have it loaded with mpeg4 as the
codec, plus I made sure ffmpeg was configured with --enable-pthreads. I have
seen significant performance improvements when using multithreading while
encoding mpeg4 with ffmpeg (as in the command-line encoder), so it seems
like it should be possible when doing it within vic. Anyone have any ideas?
Leon? :) If I can't work my way around this I might check out the mt branch
to see how nicely it plays with vic.

Also - while testing the SVN vic, it looks like multicast doesn't work. I
can receive unicast streams, and see loopback of local video, but when
trying to connect to a multicast address, it seems like it's not even
joining the group, since the machine isn't receiving any data. I know
multicast works in general on the machine since older vics work fine,
including a couple month-old SVN version. Has anyone seen this happen?

--Andrew