[Sumover-dev] Vic H264 compilation issues

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 16:28:24 GMT 2009

Hi Doug,

Yes I saw the 0.5 release - I had the same thought as ffmpeg does keep
moving which makes it tricky for us. Previously it wasn't clear which
release was a 'good' release but 0.5 should be a good one to settle
on.

Basically yes it's a good idea! Do you know if they tagged it or if it
is a particular SVN version number. Also I wonder if tehy did the same
for libpostproc as that seems to be the remaining GPL part of it
(libswscale seems to be mostly LGPL now... it seems)

> To get x264 to do the right thing as a user with no write privileges to
> /usr/local, I was doing the following to build VIC RPMs:

Ah ok - I guess we still need to tweak things.

Thanks,

Piers

> ./configure --enable-ipv6 --enable-gpl
> (cd x264; ./configure --prefix=`dirname $PWD`/x264; make; make install)
> (cd ffmpeg; make)
> make
>
> I still need to do that with x264 and the latest checkin in the mpeg4 VIC
> branch, although I haven't tried with newer versions of ffmpeg and x264.
>

> Doug
>

> Piers O'Hanlon wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback. The issues you were seeing were largely down to
>> changes in ffmpeg - it is a fast changing library. However there was also
>> an
>> error in vic' s configure script which I have now corrected - VIC's
>> configure script calls ffmpeg's configure script which sets things up so
>> that the ffmpeg libraries are installed into the local directory - thus
>> not
>> needed root access. I've updated the repository to reflect the updates.
>>
>> If you want use tcl8.5 then you can configure VIC to use it by calling
>> configure in the following way:
>> ./configure --with-tk=/usr/share/tcltk/tk8.5/tkConfig.sh
>> --with-tcl=/usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh
>>
>> I'm not aware of VIC's dependence on openssl - where do you see that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Piers.
>>
>> 2009/3/9 Andrew Ford <acf0659 at rit.edu>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I try the --enable-gpl configure option, it seems to fail on trying
>>> checkout ffmpeg like so:
>>>
>>> checking out HEAD of ffmpeg from  svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk...
>>> Configuring ffmpeg...
>>> ./configure: line 4961: cd: ffmpeg: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> And then it apparently restarts, gets an error on Tcl/Tk that doesn't
>>> happen on the first pass (checking for a compatible version of Tk...
>>> test:
>>> 4770: ==: unexpected operator) and eventually fails. I tried checking it