[Sumover-dev] Re: Vic H264 compilation issues

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 15:00:21 GMT 2009

2009/3/18 Douglas Kosovic <douglask at itee.uq.edu.au>

> Hi Piers,
>
>  Thanks for your feedback. The issues you were seeing were largely down to
>> changes in ffmpeg - it is a fast changing library. However there was also an
>> error in vic' s configure script which I have now corrected - VIC's
>> configure script calls ffmpeg's configure script which sets things up so
>> that the ffmpeg libraries are installed into the local directory - thus not
>> needed root access. I've updated the repository to reflect the updates.
>>

> With the recent removal of --enable-swscale in the configure script, I now
> get black thumbnails and video windows. Odd thing is that if MPEG-4
> transmission is enabled, then the thumbnails and videos suddenly start
> working and are no longer black (selecting other codecs doesn't have the
> same fixing effect).
>
> It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using ffmpeg 0.5 or an earlier one, once I
> rebuild with --enable-swscale, VIC works fine.

That's strange -  what OS are seeing on? I'm running it ok on Ubuntu 8.04 32
bit. I just committed some new changes for the latest IOCOM compatibility -
and now have it decoding 960x720 H264 displaying on Ubuntu using Xvideo -
tested ok on Linux and OSX and Vista.

I have seen that black window problem before - usually it was fixed by doing
a make clean and then rebuilding.

Piers