[Sumover-dev] Possibility of merging vic features / multithreadedness

Andrew Ford acf0659 at rit.edu
Tue May 5 19:24:33 BST 2009

Hi,

I'd like to know if there are any licensing or other obstacles in merging
features from the UQ vic to the mpeg4 vic branch. I know there are a lot to
do, but primarily I'm concerned with the Linux DV1394 grabber, as it seems
there's no way currently to take a DV input and transcode it to mpeg4 on
linux (in the context of AG/vic) as far as I know. I saw mention of a 1394
grabber in the configure script for the mpeg4 branch - I haven't tried it
yet, but how does it compare to the UQ version?

The other major feature would be the multithreading. I'm curious about the
effects - the underlying ffmpeg encoding for mpeg4 should be able to be
multithreaded, correct? Would it be possible for mpeg4 encoding to be
multithreaded in vic? From testing on Windows with the Intensity card, it
seems like 1080i encoding is almost impossible if it's confined to a single
core.

Also, were there plans to merge the mpeg4 branch back into the "main"
branch? What benefits would this have?

--Andrew