[Sumover-dev] RE: VIC on Snow Leopard

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Sep 7 03:07:16 BST 2009

Hi Akhila,

I think the QuickTime 7 option is just for the older player.

I didn't have any Tcl/Tk build related issue, it just builds for me
without any Tcl/Tk related configure switches, I suspect the issues you
had were because you installed a 3rd party Tcl/Tk.

I SVN checked-in a fix to allow VIC  to be built with the default gcc
64bit option on Snow Leopard, but as there is no 64bit implementation of
the QuickTime framework,  64bit VIC can't use QuickTime SequenceGrabber
capture devices.

Ideally the UCL common library should get built as a Universal binary,
it wouldn't be too difficult to build it as a universal i386 & x86_64,
but as the header files contain autoconf ENDIAN stuff, it's a bit
convoluted to also include PPC in the universal binary. VIC should
probably be forced to be built as 32bit.

Anyway, I'm still looking into the most natural way to fix things.

If you need a quick Snow Leopard workaround, use "gcc  -arch i386"
instead of just "gcc" (or "g++  -arch i386" instead of "g++" ) when
compiling common and vic, might be simplest by just editing the
Makefiles.

Cheers,

Doug