[Sumover-tech] New release to support TCL/TK 8.4? (fwd)

Socrates Varakliotis S.Varakliotis at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 14:19:44 GMT 2007

Hi Pekka,

> I'm trying to get VIC to build on RHEL4 which includes TCL/TK 8.4.
>
> VIC has a lot of compilation problems.  Patches similar to those applied
> in the
> FreeBSD ports tree to make it build with TCL/TK 8.4 might apply unless the
> code
> was littered with ' //SV-XXX: FreeBSD' comments.

We had a look into the FreeBSD port repository a while back. I managed to
retrieve some patches and commit them. These were marked as you pointed out
as "//SV-XXX FreeBSD" in the main trunk, and we are removing these as we go
on.

> However, I note from sumover-dev that some compilation patches have gone
> in to
> the SVN repository.
>
> Would it be possible to release (ASAP :-) a new version to support TCL/TK
> 8.4
> and/or create a patch against the stable release(s)?

Recent work by Barz Hsu from NCHC (Taiwan) has targetted Tcl/Tk 8.4:
http://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/changeset/3949
Please note this is in a vic branch which we have not yet merged into the
main trunk, but we are expecting to do so soon. It provides MPEG-4 and H.264
codecs, CPU acceleration, s/w scaling, etc. among other features. You can
check out this branch from our Subversion repository:
http://mediatools.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/browser/vic/branches/mpeg4

I hope this helps, please let us know of any comments/patches you may have.

> (FWIW, the attached 3 patches from 5 years ago still seem to be more or
> less
> applicable to the latest release as well..)

Thanks for these patches, we'll add them in.
--
Socrates.