[Sumover-tech] Vic on a Mac

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 10:40:54 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have now installed ActiveState TCL, but when I run configure, it still tell me it is using the UCL tcl.  I tried --without-ucl-tcl and --with-tcl but it seems to get ignored.  When this gets built and I run it from the standard mac console, I get "Not a Tk application".  It is fine if I run it from the xterm window (although there are no devices other than x11).

I then tried editing the Makefile directly and forcing it to use the ActiveState Tk and Tcl installation.  I noticed that this is version 8.4 (you don't seem to be able to get an earlier version).  This resulted in compile errors:

vic_tcl.h: In member function 'char* Tcl::var(const char*, int)':
vic_tcl.h:77: error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'char*'
main.cpp: In function 'void checkXShm(Tk_Window_*, const char*)':
main.cpp:296: error: 'XSync' was not declared in this scope
main.cpp: In function 'int main(int, const char**)':
main.cpp:527: error: invalid conversion from 'int (*)(void*, Tcl_Interp*, int, char**)' to 'int (*)(void*, Tcl_Interp*, int, const char**)'
main.cpp:527: error:   initializing argument 2 of 'void Tcl::CreateCommand(const char*, int (*)(void*, Tcl_Interp*, int, const char**), void*, void (*)(void*))'

I don't know if this is to do with the difference in the Tcl versions, or because I didn't run configure correctly.

Has anyone managed to compile this?  If so, what did you do?  Also, how do I compile in support for the camera (presumably quicktime)?

Thanks,

Andrew :)

Research Computing Services,
Manchester Computing,