[Sumover-tech] Vocoders of interest not in RAT Library

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Fri Sep 7 08:47:23 BST 2007

Hi Melbourne,

> Is there any more detailed information for adding the codec to the RAT
> codec library?
>
> Is it possible to add the codec executable (.exe) code, or does this
> require the codec source code?

RAT doesn't use a plug-in archetecure for codecs, so you can't just add a
arbitary binary (e.g. DirectShow) codec without writing some code. Even if
it was possible to add binary codecs (as with some other applications), the
RTP stack source code would (still most likely) need to be modified to
support the G.729D RTP encapsulation.

You might like to look at VLC which supports transcoding and RTP streaming.
I believe there is a modified version that support G.729A (I know nothing
about about G.729D), but I can't recall where I heard about it or may be
confusing it's support with codec.

Cheers,
Doug