[Sumover-tech] Usability issues with "vic"

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Fri Feb 15 03:42:17 GMT 2008

G'day Doug and all

To further my comments I wrote previously, I have tried a latest SVN
snapshot version of "vic" and I like the "right click for context menu"
to select a video size.  I think this is great!

I am wondering if it could be possible to expand upon this and implement
a "nested menu" option. Therefore, when you right click on the video
stream, you may have a couple of menu options such as (names not
important, just the concept):

*         Video Size

o    QFIC

o    CIF

o    SCIF

o    1/16 NTCS

o    1/4 NTCS

o    NTCS

o    1/16 PAL

o    1/4 PAL

o    PAL

*         Other options

o    Scroll Video Streams (shortcut being "<")

o    Panorama View (shortcut being "x")

Another option I really liked on a older version of open mash, was the
way you could set the video stream to cycle through video streams every
5 or so seconds...  This is a great feature if you have limited screen
real-estate and simply wanted to keep an eye on things.  If this is
still possible, it would be nice to have this as a menu option as well.

Additionally, it would be nice if you could implement a "right click for
context menu" option on the video stream thumbnail screen.  This would
allow users to select tile arrangement and other nice things.

Anyway, as you can see from my suggestions, most of the things that I
have suggested, are already possible to do it "vic".  It is simply
making the interface more user-friendly and simpler to use.

Does this at all sound feasible and possible???

I hope again that this is the appropriate forum to discuss these ideas.

Thanks for your time,

Jason.