[Iccrg] Proposal for ICCRG operations

Nandita Dukkipati nanditad at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 4 19:50:24 GMT 2006

Here's my take on the questions put forth by Keshav. For now I will
limit my answers to elastic traffic.

>  A. What is the commonly agreed definition for congestion. (I will
> post
> my suggestion later today). If we do not agree on a definition,
> then indices
> are meaningless.

* A network-centric definition of congestion: Congestion is anything
that deviates significantly from an efficient and fair usage of the
network resources --- mostly network bandwidth and buffers.
* User-centric definition: From an user's view point what really
matters is how quickly does my flow finish, so congestion is long
flow-completion times. Often, it isn't the per-packet latency that
users care about, but just how fast the entire flow completes.

>     B. What's wrong with TCP's congestion control scheme. Does
> someone have
> a concise summary that they can post here? I am sure this will be a
> cut-and-paste job for someone who has written a paper on congestion
> control
> recently :-)

Here's one list:

  1. Unsustainable large equilibrium window sizes under high
bandwidth-delay product environments; requires an unrealistically low
loss probability.
  2. Low throughput under lossy environments because of using loss as
an indication of congestion.
  3. Slow additive increase: Takes a long time for flow to catch up
with spare capacity and results in unnecessary long flow-completion
times.
  4. Inefficient Slow-start: Even when the flow is capable of
completing within a round-trip time, slow-start makes flows last
multiple round-trip times just to find their fair share rate. Often
most flows complete before they exit slow-start phase.
  5. Large queueing delay: TCP fills up any amount of buffering
available at the bottleneck links. Results in long latency.
  6. Unfair bandwidth sharing: shares bandwidth inversely
proportional to flow RTTs

  -Nandita

> Lets see if we can reach consensus on these two issues in a week's
> time.
> These will also form parts 1 and 2 of the consensus document. I ask
> for your
> co-operation in keeping the discussion to these two issues.
>
> thanks
>
> kesahv

Nandita Dukkipati
Graduate Student