AW: [Iccrg] Soliciting input for cc. bibliography

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Tue Jun 13 22:36:01 BST 2006

Hi Wesley,

> > Speaking of overviews, there was this recent discussion
> > about writing an overview of cc. related RFCs. I think
> > that we should proceed with this, and I also think that
> > we should write an overview of other cc. mechanisms. My
> > question to the group is: should these be two separate
> > documents or a single one?
> >

> For the CC-related RFCs, the TCP Roadmap already covers this ground (and
> hopefully does so pretty well).  To me it does not seem valuable for the
> ICCRG to spend a lot of time rehashing this, or asking participants to
> review another, different, book report of this same material.  The
> relevent roadmap portions are:
> http://oakham.cs.ucl.ac.uk/pipermail/iccrg/2006-March/000064.html

As much as I like the roadmap, it is by no means a complete
overview of congestion control related RFCs - it's strictly
about TCP, with no mention of, e.g., multicast congestion
control, DCCP, Active Queue Management (RFC2309), link layer
interactions with congestion control...

The way I looked at this document is that it would give
an overview of congestion control work in the IETF *except*
for the things that are in the roadmap already (and that
it would of course point to the roadmap as the main reference
on anything TCP related) - and this is more than you might
expect - see my previous post:
http://oakham.cs.ucl.ac.uk/pipermail/iccrg/2006-March/000066.html
for an incomplete list.

> On the other hand, a document that itemizes and describes the more
> radical congestion control algorithms would be valuable, and I think the
> group should concentrate on this deliverable.  To my knowledge, the only
> such algorithms that are currently described in RFCs are HighSpeed
> and Limited Slow-Start, so the TCP Roadmap does not even begin to cover
> this area.

Do you still think that this should all be compiled
in a single document in the light of what I said above?

Cheers,
Michael