[Iccrg] Soliciting input for cc. bibliography

Doan B. Hoang dhoang at it.uts.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 07:44:52 BST 2006

Generally I believe this is a good way to move forward. However, I also
want to see what exactly is the goal
of the exercise.
Over the years, there have been numerous papers on congestion control
and they all stemmed from
a small number of approaches. For example, hundreds of papers were
written on TCP congestion control and
many of these are just useless variations of the basic TCP cc. There is
little point in reviewing all these!

I believe that it will be more valuable for us to focus on these small
number of approaches (explicit feedback, implicit feedback,
application layer cc, transport layer cc, data link layer cc, etc.).
Identify these approaches is not quite simple as it looks, but I believe
that there are many experts in this group and we
will be able to do it well.

I believe that a short but sharply focused document on approaches to cc
would be extremely valuable for network
designers to explore new ways of dealing with congestion in next
generation networks.

Cheers,
Doan Hoang