[Fwd: Re: [Iccrg] Congestion control definition and requirements of anew protocol]

louise.burness louise.burness at bt.com
Wed Mar 1 12:07:28 GMT 2006

In-line again, with pruning

I still like the idea of defining congestion caused by a packet at a
single resource as the probability that an event {another packet
lost/marked/delayed beyond specification} if the packet is added to the
load

> > B. Problems with TCP congestion control:
> >
> > 1. In a high bandwidth-delay product environment, high
> throughputs can
> > only be achieved if the packet loss rate is unrealistically low.
> >
> I agree with this. However new TCPs, like highspeed,
> scalable, BIC do ~10x better than e.g. reno. But this is a
> strict constraint for high speed networks.
>
> > 2. TCP has low throughput under lossy environments because it uses
> > loss as an indication of congestion.
>
> Sure. In some networks loss isn't the best congestin
> detection source. But TCP should somehow know about the
> congested state of the network (whatever it is). There are
> other possible measures, like RTT changes, packet inter
> arrival times etc.

These implicit schemes seem to prove very difficult to implement in
practise - for example all the measures you suggest are affected by the
type of ARQ scheme that the particular wireless link utilises. Explicit
notification is required

 A new congestion control mechanism should