[Iccrg] Meeting agenda (really! :-) )

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 23:32:30 BST 2006

Lachlan,

At 18:21 11/10/2006, Lachlan Andrew wrote:
>Greetings Bob,
>
>On 11/10/06, Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>1/ I have a paper that
>>deconstructs the dominant understanding of
>>fairness used in congestion control
>
>That sounds fascinating, and I look forward to hearing about it.

See next mail.

>>2/ We may also have work presentable by Feb on what per datagram congestion
>>'signalling' bandwidth is necessary for hi speed congestion control as flow
>>rates increase. What do I mean by signalling bandwidth? As an example,
>>packet discard or ECN gives 1 bit per packet of signalling bandwidth. FAST
>>claims to use congestion loss to give multibit feedback per packet, but we
>>aim to quantify what 'multibit' means in this case, and why you get less
>>signalling bandwidth per packet from measuring congestion delay as link
>>speeds increase. The aim is to quantify at what point congestion
>>delay-based approaches would get less than 1 bit per packet signalling
>>bandwidth
>
>That also sounds very interesting.  Do you have link to a draft of
>that?

The draft is far too rough to give out yet. It's more the whole thought
framework - not just the signalling bandwidth, but a complete consideration
of the network-transport interface. Let me work on it more.

>Information theory suggests that you get something like  log(1+
>delay / jitter)  [adjusted for jitter not being i.i.d. Gaussian...].
>Is that the principle you use?

But the other question is, what buffer sizes are we likely to see as link
rates scale, to quantify the scaling of this with capacity. As you probably
know, there's a lot of research progress in that area at the moment.

>One thing to note is that the 1 bit you get from dropping or ECN has
>to be used carefully or it also degrates at high bandwidths.  In
>particular, if you use normal AIMD, then the information you get per
>congestion epoch is the number of packets in that epoch.  That is, you
>get  O(log(N)/N)  bits of ECN information per packet if the TCP epoch
>length is  N.  (Even if you are not using AIMD yourself, if someone
>else uses the same ECN marks and does use AIMD, then you are limited
>to marking one every  N  packets.)

Exactly. The problem is that the signal must be stateless and aggregate
statelessly. Then with just 1 /protocol/ bit per packet it takes n times
more packets to signal a congestion level that is n times smaller.
Therefore, as congestion rises, the numerically higher signals `overtake'
the numerically lower ones (which may be yet another possible cause of the
characteristic epoch lengths we see in queues).

>Using packet drops instead of ECN gives about  p log(1/p)  bits per
>packet if the link utilisation is to be at least  1-p on links
>upstream of the bottleneck,  which is again very much less than 1
>unless the utilisation is allowed to drop to 50%.
>
>It would be very interesting to quantify when delay-based signalling
>gives less than loss-based signalling, rather than when it gives less
>than 1 bit per packet.

Yes, you're right - I was being sloppy with my language. I was being
ambiguous between protocol bits and information bits.

>You might be interested in some non-AIMD ECN schemes.  In principle,
>schemes like that of Thommes and Coates
><http://www.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Networks/projects/pdf/thommes_ACMTN06.pdf>
>can actually give O(1) bit per packet.
>
>That scheme is very sensitive to a particular quantisation parameter,
>but we have a related scheme
><http://netlab.caltech.edu/~lachlan/abstract/ADPM_CL.pdf>,
><http://netlab.caltech.edu/~lachlan/abstract/ADPM_Allerton06.pdf>
>which scales nicely to give information faster when the congestion
>level changes faster.
>
>It still only gives  O(log(k)/k)  bits per packet, but that "k" is
>adapted to the time-scale of changes in congestion level, rather than
>some epoch length.  If the congestion level changes slowly, you don't
>need much information per packet, but if it changes quickly, this
>scheme gives up to 1 bit per packet.  More importantly, the marking
>uses the ECN bits   without   interfering with the way TCP uses those
>bits.

I've just done a deadline and working towards two at the end of the week,
so I can't take all this in now. I''l have a look. THanks - this is v
interesting conversation.

Cheers

Bob

>Cheers,
>Lachlan
>
>--
>Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
>1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA
>Phone: +1 (626) 395-8820    Fax: +1 (626) 568-3603

Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does not
necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT plc.