[Iccrg] Procedure for obtaining ICCRG reviews

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Tue Aug 7 00:56:09 BST 2007

> > clear to me (if I put my reviewers hat on for a moment) how to make
> > that decision in a consistent way - perhaps the cautious thing is
> > simply to default to 2a if an algorithm passes basic tests.   ID
> > draft-ietf-tsvwg-cc-alt-04.txt deals with general principles but
> > these still need to be turned into practice. Worth discussing on the
> > iccrg surely ?
>
> Hmm... I honestly think that these general principles are as good as
> it gets - I don't see how we could reasonably agree on more practical,
> detailed guidelines that talk about things like timeout thresholds
> etc, like you mention.
>
> I think that it's general principles + common sense (which will be
> quite subjective, but this will be okay because we consider you an
> expert :) )

I agree with Michael here, except that I'd change his "common sense" to
"engineering judgment".  CC-ALT is a set of things that researchers
should think about, talk about and generally address when proposing new
CC schemes.  CC-ALT is also a set of things that IETF reviewers should
use to *guide* their thinking about some proposal (CC-ALT is not
exhaustive, however).  I doubt very much that we could come up with a
hard-and-fast checklist of things that would turn the process into
deciding "how safe?" into a mechanical process.  We have the high-level
guidance (IMO, but I co-wrote it, so ...).  As we consider proposals we
need to carefully consider how they *address* the topics in the
high-level guidance and whether we buy that a solid evaluation has been
performed or whether it is somehow lacking.  (And, of course, in the
latter case by describing what we think is lacking about the
evaluation.)

I don't know if that helps or not.

allman