[Iccrg] draft-irtf-iccrg-welzl-congestion-control-open-research-00.txt

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 13:14:30 BST 2007

Michael, Dimitri,

During the presentation of this at the last ICCRG mtg I identified some
extra challenges or adjuncts to the existing ones, which I'll record here
and add a few review comments too (tho I'll do a full review later and at
the same time I contribute some better thought-thru text if req'd).

Challenge 1 sort of misses the top level question that you (Michael)
articulated well at the previous ICCRG mtg in LA:
- What's the minimum support in network elements for future-proofed (incl
hi-speed) congestion control?

Note the term "network elements" not "routers" - as Tim Shepard said, we
have to work with congestion in lower layers too (and if doing explicit
congestion notification, we have to propagate congestion info up the layers).

I can probably contribute text to "Challenge 8. Misbehaving S&Rs". For
instance, I have a fair idea of which aspects of the DoS problem might be
solved by better congestion control.

I think we need a "Challenge 9: Multicast Congestion Control"
Both streamed-media and messaging types of multicast.

Other more detailed questions:

An additional question in 3.1.4 (which should probably be entitled
feed-forward notification, not feedback)
- what's the minimum information intensity of congestion notification (More
than 1-bit per packet? Is sensing congestion delay variation a sufficient
alternative?)

Also:
- Is a good system & equipment design goal to sacrificially throttle
bit-rate to avoid CPU overload (so the brain can still work out what to do
about congestion)?
- distinguishing per-packet congestion from per-byte congestion (similar
problem to distinguishing congestion from wireless transmission losses)?
- ever-widening range of packet sizes: if design equipment for larger ave
pkt size, gets overloaded with flurries of small packets.

Bob