[Iccrg] LT-TCP followup

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Thu Aug 9 14:23:53 BST 2007

Hi,

It's worse: even with ECN all over the place, a queue
can overflow, and then a packet can be dropped due
to congestion. It's just less likely.

Hence, the only reliable way to avoid missing
a congestion signal in the Internet of today
is to assume that a packet loss is due to
congestion - which makes it impossible to rely
on the same signal as a sign of corruption - and
hence, an altogether different (i.e. explicit)
signal is the best way to signal corruption IMO

that's why I suggested using ETEN (and I agree
that your TCP variant would probably still work
very well if combined with it!)

cheers
michael