[Iccrg] Call for reviewers for CTCP

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Tue Aug 14 16:03:21 BST 2007

I am confused ....

> One main conclusion that we are looking for is whether you agree
> with the statement on safeness which is included in the abstract
> of the draft (and obviously, we'd like to know how you arrived
> at your decision).

Err.  Perhaps you could tell us what statement in the abstract you are
talking about.  My reading of the abstract (appended below for easy
access) is that it includes no such statement and therefore the question
you ask above makes no sense to me.

allman

   This document proposes Compound TCP (CTCP), a modification to TCP's
   congestion control mechanism for use with TCP connections with large
   congestion windows. The key idea behind CTCP is to add a scalable
   delay-based component to the standard TCP's loss-based congestion
   control. The sending rate of CTCP is controlled by both loss and
   delay components. The delay-based component has a scalable window
   increasing rule that not only efficiently uses the link capacity,
   but on sensing queue build up, gracefully reduces the sending rate.
   We have implemented CTCP on Microsoft's Windows and we have done
   extensive testing on production links and in Windows Beta
   deployments. We also engaged with Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
   to evaluate the properties of CTCP. The results so far are very
   encouraging. This document describes the Compound TCP algorithm in
   detail, and solicits experimentation and feedback from the wider
   community. In this document, we collectively refer to any TCP
   congestion control algorithm that employs a linear increase function
   for congestion control, including TCP Reno and all its variants as
   Standard TCP.