[Iccrg] Re: [Tsvwg] review solicitation for ICCRG congestion control survey

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Fri Jan 12 07:19:28 GMT 2007

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your comments!

> 	Doesn't this document initially imply that ONLY
>    "feedback-based adjustment" type responses are available
>    to ameloriate congestion.
>
>     As congestion approaches, the lack of acks/feedback can
>    also indicate congestion. So I would first modify section
>    "1" to indicate that the loss of feedback is also a level
>    of feedback that needs to be considered.

Agreed. Indeed, the lack of feedback is a form of
feedback itself.

In the remainder of your email, you raised some interesting
research questions - but I don't think that our document
should address these, as our intention is not to provide
a discussion of all the design pro's and con's of
congestion control (which is an almost endless story).

For example:

>    In addition, this reader is unaware whether this document prefers
>    flows that are at the precipice of congestion or whether a
>    significant buffer of lost bandwidth should be used to minimize
>    any congestion type behaviours.

the draft doesn't prefer anything; it is merely
meant as a survey of what the IETF has done in
this area.

Of course, no such document can stand without some
introductory statements about the general field
that is being addressed - and therefore I fully
agree with your correction regarding section 1.

Cheers,
Michael