[Iccrg] feedback on draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics?

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Tue Mar 6 14:58:08 GMT 2007

Dear Sally,

I'm terribly sorry for waiting until the last minute; in fact
I didn't, it's just a matter of luck that I can still make
this just on time....

I read it, and think it's a really useful document. I just
have some minor comments:

Page 9, Paragraph under 3.3 heading: I would state that the
"fairness between TCP and a new transport protocol" is
commonly called "TCP-friendliness"; that term seems to be
missing in this document.

2 paragraphs below: I always found this definition of
max-min fairness a bit hard to grasp, and always liked
the fact that most authors explain the "progressive
filling algorithm" as a way of thinking about it. It would
be a nice service for readers to add a sentence of this
algorithm here.

3 paragraphs below (proportional fairness definition) -
here, you take the definition from Kelly's paper but
omit the definition of a "feasible allocation". Additionally,
I would again provide readers with an explanation that
makes it easier to understand the concept - you could
just say that proportional fairness is the outcome of
maximizing the log utility functions of all flows

page 11 2nd paragraph under heading 3.4: shouldn't
it be "In general, _THE_ Internet architecture has valued..." ?

Last sentence of last paragraph in this section: shouldn't
it be "lower interference _WITH_ other users"?

Maybe these two suggestions are wrong, as I'm not
a native English speaker - but then again, maybe they
are typos.

That's it!

Cheers,
Michael