[Iccrg] open-issues rfc

Wesley Eddy weddy at grc.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 29 20:18:24 BST 2007

At the ICCRG meeting in February, there was some deal of discussion on
open issues in the field of congestion control.  The group identified
several, including (at least):

1) high-rate schemes
2) detection and proper treatment of corruption loss
3) media-flows, including small packet flows
4) router support (implicit / explicit feedback, etc.)
5) pseudowires
6) pre-congestion notification
7) precedence for elastic traffic
8) misbehaving senders and receivers
9) maybe more ...

Michael has a slide at the very end of his presentation that lists the
ones that came out in the meeting:
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/attachment/wiki/Agenda/michael_welzl.pdf?format=raw

To fulfill part of the ICCRG charter, we need to put together an RFC
that describes these open issues in some depth.  A sort of "problem
statement" for each would be good, and could be used to direct future
work.  This follows onto the draft-iccrg-cc-rfcs (soon to be updated)
document because it explains the questions that aren't *yet* answered in
the RFC series, but that this RG would like to help develop good answers
for.

We need people to take this list of issues, expand on it if needed, and
turn it into a document.  If you would like to contribute to this as an
author/editor, please let the chairs (or the entire list) know.  We
don't need one person to write the whole document; each open issue could
be described in a different section written by a subset of co-authors,
so if you have specialized expertise to contribute text on a specific
issue, that's perfect.

If we could get even a very-rough 00 draft of this before Chicago, it
would be very good.  By the way, we're planning on meeting face-to-face
in conjunction with the IETF meeting in Chicago in July:
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/69-IETF.html
(more details will follow in the near future)

Thanks,
  Michael Welzl and Wesley Eddy

--
Wesley M. Eddy